From time to time, I like to highlight other artists. The Civil Wars is a rarity. I’ve listened to their music on iTunes, but I got to meet them at the CMA Fest before hearing them live.
The Civil Wars is folk music duo composed by Joy Williams and John Paul White. Their studio album Barton Hollow, released under their own label Sensibility Music, has sold 195,000 copies. Recently they’ve been touring with artists such as Adele and Emmylou Harris.
They were interviewed by the New York Times where they revealed the origin of the duo’s name:
I came up with the name. It has nothing to do with the historical meaning. There is a great quote that I believe is Plato, who said, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.” As I was thinking about the music we make, that sense of battle seemed applicable. That sense of yin and yang, of male and female, of our differing backgrounds, all that seemed to allude to the battles that we all face with faith or addictions or jobs or relationships. Every single person walking down the street is fighting a great battle, whether or not you can see it.
– Joy Williams, The New York Times
The folk duo are expected in New York City on October 27, in Boston on October 28 and in Montreal, where I will be attending, in October 29.
Here’s their video for Barton Hollow, the single from the album of the same name.
Taylor Swift and the Agency are now in Austin, Texas to perform at the Frank Erwin Center. Up next, Taylor has a scheduled store appearance in Franklin, Tennessee on October 28.
Coming up in the Calendar!
- October 26: Austin, Texas at Frank Erwin Center. Sold Out.
- October 28: Wonderstruck promotion tour! Belk – Franklin, TN (in-store appearance).
- October 29: Speak Now tour in Lexington, Kentucky at Rupp Arena. Click here for ticket info.
- October 30: Memphis, Tennessee at FEDEX Forum. Sold Out.
- November 5: Houston, Texas at Minute Maid Park. Click here for ticket info.
- November 6: The HALO Awards air on Nickelodeon. Taylor Swift is one of the presenters.
- November 9: The 45th Annual CMA Awards will air live from the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennesse at 8pm EST on ABC.
(Source: The New York Times)