Lightning just hit thrice, Taylor Nation.
Billboard has just reported that Taylor Swift’s 1989 album sold 1.287 million copies in its first week according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album debuts at number one on Billboard 2oo. It’s her fourth No. 1 studio album. The others are Red (2012), Speak Now (2010) and Fearless (2008).
It’s the largest sales week for an album since June 2, 2002. Taylor is the only act to earn three million-selling weeks with an album. To give you a reference, the Sparkly Dressed’s Red sold 1.208 million while Speak Now sold 1.047 million copies. Her other albums Fearless sold 592,000 copies and her self-titled debut sold 39,000 during their release weeks.
1989 is the second-largest-selling album of 2014, behind only the Frozen soundtrack which has sold 3.2 million. Of course, Frozen was released on November of 2013. Give 1989 its time and it might exceed those numbers.
You can read the original article on Billboard.
And T-Swizzle does a little rappin’ to say thanks!
Coming up on the Calendar!
- November 3: Taylor Swift appears during the Knockout Rounds on NBC’s The Voice.
- November 4: The pre-sale for the 1989 World Tour European dates starts. Click here for details.
- November 5: The 48th Annual CMA Awards.
- November 7: The pre-sale for the 1989 World Tour North American dates starts. Click here for details.
- November 9: The 2014 MTV EMA in Glasgow. Taylor Swift is nominated for Best Female and Best Look. You can vote here.
- November 23: “Blank Space” performance at the 2014 American Music Awards.
- December 12: Billboard Women Music Awards. Taylor Swift has been selected as 2014 Woman of the Year for a second time.
- December 12: Taylor Swift will perform at the z100’s Jingle Ball 2014.
- December 13: If you don’t know, I’m not telling you.
- December 31: Taylor Swift headlines New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest.